Car Booting - Winning and Losing



Having completed a house move, we are now broke.  Even so, there are lots of little things on our wish list that we are hoping to find at a reasonable price, which is why we took a trip to the car boot sale on Sunday morning, plus it was an excuse to get out and about for a bit.  On our list we had a hand mower, a cruet set and cutlery for the dining room, a cucumber plant, mortice lock, masonry bit, cable clips, wok and picture frame.  We also wanted to get an idea of pricing as we're planning to do our own car boot sale in the near future to raise some cash from unwanted items - and boot sales are a top way to recycle any unwanted items (one man's trash is another man's treasure, or so the saying goes).

We'd got about two thirds of the way around and not found anything we were really looking for (although some nice things we weren't looking for and had to resist!).  And then I spotted my first treasure tucked away on a sheet on the ground to the side of a stall.  The most gorgeous little cruet set of blue and white mixed glazes - perfect.  But Mr Cocopopia was wandering off into the distance and the lady on the stall was busy chatting to a customer and wrapping something up.  I thought I'd just take a moment to go and call Mr Cocopopia back and give the lady a chance to become free.  The set had been sitting there for at least a couple of hours and nobody else had been looking at it so it would be perfectly safe.  Well on that I was wrong because when I returned just a few seconds later, my heart sank as I saw the lady on the stall wrapping up the little cruet set.  That was my little treasure found and then lost in just a few seconds. I learnt my lesson the hard way on that one.

But all was not lost because shortly after, I came across the perfect little hand mower (pictured above).  This was probably the item I was least expecting to find - it looked almost new and I paid £10 for it.  Then Mr Cococopia found a door handle (not on the list, but very welcome) to match the handles in our house, which are slightly unusual and could be difficult to match.  

Finally, I came across a man selling veggie plants and found a very healthy looking cucumber plant.  I was never able to grow cucumbers at the old house but we now have a greenhouse so I think this one will be ok.  I paid £1.20 for it so if I only get 3 cucumbers of it, it will have paid for itself - but I think it will do better than that!

Here's coping this little plant will be able to provide a summer full of cucumbers





Comments

Popular Posts