Finding the Unexpected



I don't normally do "music reviews" but have to report that last week-end I was browsing the charity shops for some particular type of music but didn't find what I was looking for.  However, I came across this CD and bought it on a whim.  Turns out I love it and have been listening to it in the car all week.

I looked up Sacred Spirit and discovered they started out in the early 90's and this was their third album in 1997.  The music can be described as electronic, new-age, world and ambient and is cleverly mixed so that, for example, one moment you're listening to haunting cello and a few moments later this is merged into steel guitar, drums or electronic trance.  One of my favourite tracks on the album, Legends , was also used in a lee jeans commercial.

Sacred Spirit's first album (Chants and Dances of Native Americans) was very different, telling the stories, legends and plight of the Native Americans and mixed traditional drumming and chanting with electronic dance beats.

Overall, their music is very experimental and each album has explored different themes, so this has opened a new door for me as I've got a few more to look into yet.  The CD is available online for just under £10 so I was quite lucky finding it for £1 in a charity shop.

Comments

Popular Posts